I opened up the bee packages to check them and I put on a second box on all three. The picture shows capped pollen (the tan cells) and the rest is uncapped honey. The bees have to reduce the moisture content of the honey until it is thick and then they cap it. There was capped honey along the top of some of the frames that I could see. The goal here is to have the bees put away enough stores to last through the fall and winter.
These bees are doing all right. I did not do much poking around as I do not want to disturb the bees too much and I did not want to accidentally hurt the queen, so I did not see brood. The bees generally do not work this hard though if they don’t have a queen. The number of bees means to me that new bees are hatching out now.